Empathy and Pain

The Asteroid Chiron was discovered in the 70′s to orbit between Saturn and Uranus. The incorporation of this asteroid in astrology has led to explain aspects of pain and empathy in analyzing charts of individuals. Chiron is a sensitive point in Astrology which reveals a persons vulnerabilty and ability to encounter healing in their life. Chiron in ancient mythology is described as a teacher, musician, astrologer and above all describes the wounded-healer aspect in his personality.

chiron.jpg

Chiron a Centaur was Achilles’ teacher; his vast knowledge of life was underpinned by his own vulnerability and woundedness. Chiron’s pain and wound was caused by a poisened arrow that was treated with the blood of Hydra. In a sense his illness was chronic or incurable. In the end, Chiron sacrificed his life and imortality by trading places with Prometheus so that the healing qualities of fire could remain with man. Its a sad story which tends to invoke empathy for such a talented and respected centaur in mythology. Its seems strange that Chiron was such a healer seeing as though Centaurs were typically known for their unruly hedonistic  behaviours including aggression and drinking abilities.

empathy.jpg

Empathy is a “holding” device where there seems to be tranferences of pain and understanding between two people. There can be verbal and non verbal ways of understanding feelings between two people.

The Moon in astrology describes expression of feelings and ones primary need in the personality. The Moon in the chart also describes the Mother and where a person loves to find a sense of security in life. The Moon represents the Free Child in personality and where there is contact to Chiron in the chart, individual emotional expression can take on elements of pain, woundedness and skills of empathy. Moon Chiron describes a degree of emotional dysfunction in early nurturing and relationship to the mother.

medic.gif

The woundedness and pain involved in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is widely documented. A great percentage of Vietnam veterans are still psychologically experiencing the traumatic events from forty years years ago. Pain represented by Chiron in the chart can be explained in part by its orbit between Saturn and Uranus. It is the gestalt between the sudden shock of seperatness in Uranus and then the reality of integrating experience through the consciouness of Saturn. Moon Chiron symbolises the shock of abandonment and the realisation of an experience involving feelings. The early Chiron wounding experience overflows into the individuals ability to express their feelings in life. The expression of feelings for this individual must take a different route and which is explained beautifully in the Mythology of Chiron’s transcendance.

tour03lake-mikwaukee02.jpg

When the Chironic or Moon Chiron person is confronted with expressing feelings a splitting off process seems to veer them away from encountering natural expression. It is not to say that the Moon Chiron person is incapable of expressing feelings however there is a natural defensive move to protect underlying vulnerabilities and anxiety.

scaredg.jpg

The triggered Moon Chiron event is ultimately a terrifying experience which can replay in life when certain elements of relationships reflect the early wounding experience. Afterwards, when the shock of re-experiencing has subsided, the person is able to ingeniously process the event for their own healing. Almost immediately, the knowledge of such an experience can then be used to understand others feelings as empathy. The Moon Chiron person develops acute empathy because of their own sensitivity to experiences involving feelings.

The Chironic experience therefore, can leave the person for periods of time where there is a void of feelings within personality. Occasionally perhaps, through alchemal process’s the person will shed tears at the sound of certain music or through cinematography imagery. By following the Centaurs approach which involves a caring – healing  and creative direction the Moon Chiron person may begin to understand their own innermost feelings. By empathising with how others feel – the Chironic person can experience a wonderful sense of self connection. Perhaps this novel means of emotional integration depends on which “chair” is available for them in life.

50188833.jpg

In the process of some Gestalt therapies the Moon Chiron person will encounter a certain amount of terror when confronted by expressing parts of themself. In many cases the person will most likely avoid this therapy process unless they have already proved to themselves the benefit that comes after the pain. The person will display resistance to participating in two chair work. The Moon Chiron person will find that by sitting in the therapists chair and using empathy skills is much more suited to them. The therapist with empathy for others will also sense a clients terror and their reluctance to confront feelings in this affective style. Therefore, by using holding and empathy process’s within the therapeutic relationship a natural healing process for the Moon Chiron person or related symbology may be achieved.

Kingsley (Moon Chiron in Aquarius, Ninth House)

27 Responses to “Empathy and Pain”

1. 1 lis January 20, 2008 at 14:26

i’m in love with your writing :) i just found it from elsaelsa.com–another amazing blog!

it may be sad, but i am THRILLED to find such intelligent writing connected to astrology!!!

do you know how many times i have to explain to people i don’t read the newspaper horoscopes?!?!?!

…yes, you do ;)

ha ;)

2. 2 kingsley January 20, 2008 at 15:47

Hi Lis
    Thankyou for your comments about my blogs.

You might like to read My star sign escapade with managing health. The good and Bad about managing Ilness. I have a daily horoscope delivered Lis just because it goes well with my morning coffee.

kingsley

3. 3 Mari January 21, 2008 at 04:07

I too love your writing and insights. I am a bit confused re Moon/Chiron relationship. My Sun 27Cap 4th house, Moon 3 Libra 12th house, and Chiron 6 degree Cap 3rd house. Where is Chiron now? I totally relate to the wounded healer, and all that you said, for years, I didn’t even know how to or was afraid to express my feelings, although I think I’m coming out on the other side. Cheers!

4. 4 kingsley January 21, 2008 at 07:38

Thankyou Mari, You seem to have Moon square Chiron. The good thing about Chiron is that mostly he lets you come out the otherside. Chiron is in Aquarius (15^) at the moment.

kingsley

• 5 Mimi November 14, 2012 at 06:55

I have Moon square Chiron in my natal chart, and what you wrote is really really great explanation… I have always wondered how can i be so emotional and feel such a pain when much much worse things happened to other people… and that is the reason i don`t want to admit i`m hurt, i`m like: Its ok, i understand… and in some weird way i do understand, but my feelings and emotions never understand :) i searched for clues for my really deep emotions in my natal chart, and there are many, but the moon chiron aspect is the most logical :) I have moon in pisces and the moon squares ascendant, saturn, uranus, neptune … and i have neptune on the ascendant… i first thought this are aspects that i can use for understanding my painful emotions, but few hours ago as i was searching and examining my natal chart, the moon chiron sqare made perfect sense… I`m self thought in astrology, i`m still learning, and i`m really glad that there are sites like this one… I`m maybe making some mistakes in writing because English is not my first language so sorry for that :)

5. 6 roses January 23, 2008 at 09:58

Wow! That was full on! And the comments? Well, i’m clueless. But it’s true… this is a lovely site and lots of what you said really really makes sense. It’s nice when things are like that… Cheers

roses

6. 7 roses January 23, 2008 at 09:59

Ohh! By the way – Hi K

7. 8 kingsley January 23, 2008 at 10:06

Hello Roses

Glad you cam over to my Kingsley blog. Your comment is really helpful to me because I know you are a non astrological person. It is so easy to not to make sense of some astrolgy information even for astrologers.

so sad to hear about Heath Ledger passing away

kingsley

8. 9 roses January 23, 2008 at 11:04

Ohh K! Really sad i think – it was his life to do with as he pleased i guess. Being famous would be so yucky. I hope he rests well. The money that fame brings just can’t buy privacy from the attention fame gets I guess.

It’s a nice blog K – I went to the elsa one too, wow… maybe if i keep reading…

Cheers – roses

9. 10 alba January 30, 2008 at 05:20

Thanks for a nice take on Chiron/Moon. Just got here from a link someone sent me, so i have not read through your blog.

I have chiron conj moon in aquarious aswell but in 3rd house….part of a t-square.

I can agree with the void of feelings that you talk about. I have had many years when young, of feeling as i was embedded in a void and could not reach out and no one got in, (maybe the double air aqua and 3rd house made even harder to understand the depthes of my emotions. After many years of entering this void and finding my sorrows I am now old and wise..Smile::::well not that old, but old enough::: smile again.
    Thanks… Ill be back. Alba

10. 11 kingsley January 30, 2008 at 07:38

Thankyou for checking the blog out alba and leaving a comment. Its good to hear from a fellow Moon Chiron person.

regards
    Kingsley

11. 12 manoj January 25, 2009 at 00:05

Hello:
    Could you kindly let us know if youhave the copyright for the image empathy.jpg used in this post?
    If yes, we are interested in requesting your permission in using that image on a website we are developing where we want to use the word “Empathy” and thought this image was appropriate.
    Please let me know by e-mail at the address provided.
    Thanks.

12. 13 kingsley January 25, 2009 at 08:19

No I do not have copyright

k

13. 14 Sams July 4, 2009 at 07:49

I love this article – I am intergrating my chiron wounds into my personality and am looking for the right texts as guides…in order to do so.

I love this piece.

My Moon Chiron wound is big lol. I know that. My mother has always been self serving – and as a man that does some real damage, but I know that there is treasure within my hollowed out childhood…I don’t think I felt anything until I turned 17.

But hey maybe i’ll write a book ;P

Much gratitude for this friend…

14. 15 kingsley July 4, 2009 at 11:24

Good to hear you comment Sam. Moon Chiron likes to heal and teach in some way. Writing a book is a very good way to help yourself and others.

best
    kingsley

15. 16 Jo November 14, 2009 at 18:27

blown away by this article. I love chiron. I’m fairly chirotic, myself. ( Chiron in the 6th/Cancer, very heavily aspected : square moon, square mars, opposition Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus, trine Pluto & North Node– my nn is in pisces btw. ) So this was all very very helpful and enlightening :)

And i must say that I can attest to its strength in manifestation in my life. I went through some trauma, which is reflected in the houses & aspects ( i feel that it accurately describes the terms of what happened ), but I’ve healed and I do feel that I can possibly help others who have gone through the same thing….

Thank you!

Jo

16. 17 Jo November 14, 2009 at 18:40

Oh and my aries moon + mars conjunction always makes me hurry through saying things that sometimes I forget to mention something i wanted to.

I have so much to say, because I really enjoyed this. um… where to start.

i thought the following passage you wrote was explained brilliantly. Touche. Being a scorpio sun with Neptune in the 12th & Jupiter in the 4th… I’m quite the cauldron of emotions. I think the chiron influence helps me in that way. I feed off of empathy ( as we all do, if you’re human.), but mostly that transcendental realm in my mind, my soul, where all is at rest because… what they say is true : what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger. Especially regarding Chiron.. because i feel like after this trauma, this wound, the growth and the understanding of the world that takes place during the healing process, or in the completion of it is truly immense. and not to mention beautiful. whether it be because you have more compassion for others, or that you have faith that you’ve gotten this far and you didn’t think you’d make it.

And here’s the passage that i liked:
    “Occasionally perhaps, through alchemal process’s the person will shed tears at the sound of certain music or through cinematography imagery. By following the Centaurs approach which involves a caring – healing and creative direction the Moon Chiron person may begin to understand their own innermost feelings. By empathising with how others feel – the Chironic person can experience a wonderful sense of self connection. Perhaps this novel means of emotional integration depends on which “chair” is available for them in life.”

17. 18 kingsley November 15, 2009 at 18:24

Thank you for your comments Jo. I like what you say about getting this far and not thinking about actually “making it”. Good comment.

The chironic experience does involve healing and creativity.

kingsley

18. 19 frite February 25, 2011 at 02:26

I have moon opposite chiron and a lot of quinquinxes and squares (5) and I feel very chiron-aware all the time. the vulnerability and a feeling of chiron even when Im actually happy and content and not “hurt”, you know. humbleness perhaps? and I always wanted to “heal” everyone as a child, had a great mother-child relationship though but I have felt overly sensitive as long as I can remember.

19. 20 frite February 25, 2011 at 02:28

and I constantly get teary-eyed! :D keeping that one on the low, though.

20. 21 saturnjourney September 22, 2011 at 14:26

thanks for referring to my blog :D

21. 22 michajj January 1, 2012 at 19:25

I gave birth to a baby boy last year with chiron 1 degrees pisces square moon in gemini 0 degrees in the second house. I have moon in pisces and feel really concerned about this whole wounded in relation to the mother thing. i do all I can to nurture and love my boy and get quite concerned I will cause him some kind of life long pain. Maybe I’m missing the point?

22. 23 kingsley January 2, 2012 at 20:54

Dear Michajj, I hear what you are saying as a parent about Moon and Chiron. Early development can be very subtle and no matter what kind of parent you can be. The child has his or her own experiences with regard to attachments according to their temperaments or astrological indicators. In that way, instead of Moon Chiron being about the parents, a child can be quite sensitive and open to developing their own sense of woundedness.

If you adapt and do all manner of things so that your child avoids experiencing these kinds of feelings you may inadvertently create the very essence of this astrological (attachment) indicator. In the end kids are pretty tough, and its good if they learn to desensitize along the way. My tip is to use the astrology as a guide to understanding your children better, to be conscious of their needs and deliver the kind of love and nurturing you do.

All the best and thanks for posting this comment.

k

• 24 michajj January 3, 2012 at 19:25

Thanks Kingsley for the wisdom in your response. I will endeavor to be conscious enough to allow my child to live out his destiny and be as supportive as I can be.

23. 25 kingsley January 4, 2012 at 10:21

I am not sure whether I see the astrology as “pure destiny” Michajj. Sensitive people are special people and how that plays out in your child’s development depends on many factors. My own Moon Chiron conjunction means several things to me according to my early upbringing. My destiny could have veered into many paths however I still had free will to decide my own choices and beliefs along the way.

best regards
    k

• 26 michajj January 5, 2012 at 14:37

Thanks Kingsley, I guess that was sort of what I meant – in regard to his ‘destiny’ I was more referring to his path, the one that opens for him as well as the choices he makes.I have concerned about the implication of my own actions, as the mother, in his moon square chiron, partly because of my own difficulties with my mother – although I have moon conjunct saturn. I was saddened to think that, despite my best efforts, I may be lacking for him. Your previous words helped me to realise I can only do the best I can at this time, that I can’t control outcomes or even the way he experiences our relationship, that its not really about me. Thank you again

1. 1 Mythology Blog: Between Old and New Moons » Mythology From Around The Web (13) Trackback on March 18, 2008 at 18:25